Raymond E. ADCOCK

(unknown, from photocopy of clippings, April 1959)

Man Dies After Fight In Local Restaurant

Theodore Fogley, a 36-year-old transient farm worker, is being held in County Jail this morning in connection with the death of a Yuma man, who has been identified only as Ray Adcock.

City police report that Adcock died in Yuma General Hospital about 2:20 this morning. The victim was taken to the hospital after he was found lying on the floor of Jimmy's Drive Inn, 3rd and Gila Streets, about 6:30 last night.

Police Officer Travis (Bud) Yancey said that when he arrived at the scene he found the victim lying on the floor. Yancey said that Adcock was reportedly knocked off a bar stool while drinking beer with the man that hit him.

Adcock's assailant was identified as Fogley, who reportedly had just arrived in town. Fogley, who lists his place of residence, as Hanna, Okla., was picked up shortly after he ran from the scene. He was taken into custody at the Turf Club on Main Street by Police Officer Dale Freeman.

An autopsy has been scheduled today to determine the cause of the victim's death. The body was taken to the Johnson Mortuary.

Charges of manslaughter are pending on the outcome of the post-mortem examination, police said.

Manslaughter in R. E. Adcock Death

A preliminary hearing on a manslaughter charge will be held for Theodore Fogley at 2 p.m. today in Yuma Justice Court.

The charge against the 36-year-old transient farm worker was filed yesterday following the results of an autopsy performed on Raymond E. Adcock, 62, of the Winterhaven area. The autopsy revealed that Adcock died of a skull fracture.

Death came at 2:30 a.m. Monday in Yuma General Hospital, little more than eight hours after the victim was allegedly struck by Fogley in a downtown cafe.

In a statement to police officers, Fogley said that he and the deceased, a retired ranch hand, were drinking beer Sunday afternoon at Jimmie's Drive-in at 3rd and Gila Streets. He said they were matching for drinks when an argument developed as to whose turn it was to pay for the next beer.

Fogley said they challenged each other to a fight. Fogley said he got in the first swing, and knocked the older man down.

Adcock's assailant then ran from the scene but was picked up by police a short while later at a bar on Main Street. Police said that the victim apparently struck his head against a sharp corner of a cigarette machine when he fell.

Fogley was booked in County Jail after the fight on a disorderly conduct charge. He is now being held for manslaughter and is under $10,000 bond.

The bond was set yesterday by Justice of the Peace B[?] Byrd.

Funeral arrangements for Adcock are pending at the Johnson Mortuary. The deceased came to the Yuma area about four months ago, and has since resided with his sister and brother-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. John Price.

R. E. Adcock Rites Planned at Willcox

Remains of Raymond E. Adcock, 59-year-old cattle ranch worker who was fatally injured in a fight in a local restaurant Sunday night, will be shipped to Willcox, Ariz., for funeral services and burial, it was announced today at the Johnson Mortuary.

Adcock, who had been staying at the home of a sister, Mrs. Grace Price of Winterhaven, had been a cattle ranch worker most of his life.

He was born May 22, 1899 [sic] in Uvalde, Texas. Surviving are a son, Houston, of Palmdale, Calif.; a daughter, Irene L. Rittenour; three brothers, Sam of Willcox, Jeff of Montebello, Calif., and Ed of Baltimore, Md.; a half-brother, W. C. Etheridge of Chino, Ariz.; two sisters, Mrs. Mattie Stephenson of Willcox and Mrs. Grace Price of Winterhaven.

[obituaries courtesy of Cathy Kingcade]